More on Self Esteem!
The simple fact is...there are things that parents sometimes do that lower their child's self esteem.
The following are Self-Esteem Killers:
- Compare one child to another, especially with siblings.
- Have super high standards, reward only high level of progress.
- Yell - A LOT!
- Assume their child really wants, needs, and deserves all the freedom they are asking for.
Additionally they would:
- Let the child make lots of choices for themselves, especially when they are really young.
- Neglect to follow through. For example: Mom tells Lisa that a certain rule violation will result in a consequence. Lisa commits violation. Mom caves in and doesn't enforce consequence.
- Set standars for the kids that Mom and Dad don't hold themselves to.
- When you catch your children aspiring, caution them not to set their sights too high.
- Be frugal in spending time with your kids.
- Assume they will follow your words rather than your example.